Tuesday, August 09, 2005

One of the greatest feelings...

This past weekend I played in a softball tournament in Vancouver, WA. The following story is based on actual facts.

Now picture that it was the 6th inning, at least two runners on base, two outs and the game is tied. It was win this game and be guaranteed at least third place trophy, or lose and go home with nothing. I was in left center as I had been all tournament. The ball was hit out to me, fading quickly to my right and very short in the field.

I hauled as much ass as I could towards where I thought the ball would be landing. In my head I knew that with the piano on my back, I had to do something more than run. So I leaned forward and dove. My mitt grabbed the ball securely, inches from the ground. I did a shoulder roll, landed back on my feet and held the ball up for the umpire to see. No runs scored and the game stayed tied.

That rush of diving and feeling the ball hit your mitt and stay, is one of the best feelings I can have. There is not much like it. The diving... hoping you actually at least knock the ball down so it doesn't continue rolling behind you, making you look like at ass for diving at all. But then to actually catch it... that's the rush. Coming up with the ball in your mitt for the umpire to see. That's the glory. I love it.

You may say to yourself, I see that all the time in the major leagues. But believe me, it's not a common everyday event in rec softball. Myself, I have probably two of these occurrences a year in an actual game. Sometimes at practice I make a stellar play, but not usually, as these plays also sometimes result in an injury if not done correctly. I often refrain from any extra injuries during practice.

So if you ever get the chance to dive for a ball, I would say do it. One of these times if not every time, you'll catch it and you will share in this wonderful feeling!

P.S. We ended up losing this game by one run. :(

1 Comments:

Blogger lloyd said...

The year? 1999. The game? Softball. The situation? It's the bottom of the seventh inning. We're the home team so we're on defense. There were two outs and I had just misjudged the previous ball hit to me in right field. Therefore, the game was currently tied with a runner on second and third. Any hit would mean we lose. So there's the lefty up to bat and... smack! Oh, no! Another ball hit in my direction. Can I get it? It's shallow and it's drifting to my right. Why was I back so far? What I lack in natural skill, I try to makeup for in hustle. So I run. Run, Rodney, run... This is it. If I miss it, they win. Run, Forest, Run. I can see that ball so clearly. Run, dammit, run! I'm not going to be the reason they win this game. RUN!!!!! So I dive. My entire body stretched out reaching, going for that ball. I feel the ball land in my glove and I squeeze for dear life, rolling...no...tumbling on the ground. I raise my hand and a single beam of sunlight shines on my glove. I show this glorious sphere to the world... the ball is mine! The ball is MINE!!!!! I'm jumping up and down, celebrating with my teammates 'cause I saved the inning. I gave our team another chance. Whooohooo!!!!!!

...we end up losing...

But, yeah, I know the feeling oh so well. As T the T would say, "It feels GRRRRRREEAAAAAAT!!!!"

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home